Hasn’t been even a full two weeks into the new year and I have already deleted or blocked 4 people on social media, jeez.
Hello beautiful people!
Happy new year! I am so late in writing this article. I had hoped to write this at the true beginning of the year but getting readjusted to school and work has been tough and overwhelming. I write myself a bunch of to-do lists but I still manage to forget to do two things a day and only remember when I’m finally laying in bed. I write notes on my phone and in my school journals but I definitely need to get more organized.I have also had this ongoing headache which I do not know why so I’m trying to drink more water. Jeez, could I complain anymore? I apologize. I hope your new year is going well!
Obviously, we know that just because its a new year doesn’t mean that all of a sudden you need to completely change as a person or whatever. You can start making positive changes whenever! But there is still something great about a fresh new year where you can reflect on the past year and then analyze what you want to work on and set some goals!
You might be wondering why I had to delete people from social media and you may think its petty. But why have someone there looking at your life and what you’re doing if they don’t support you? You should have people that support your life and your work. Social media is an extension of you as a person whether you want it to be or not. If someone is disrespectful to you in real life and cannot be trusted then you don’t need that negativity in “real life” or online. Also, I don’t need to see posts of people that will bring me down. Why would I keep them on my feed. I don’t care what they are up to. I wish them the best in whatever they do in their life because we’re all trying to get through the madness. But simply put I do not need extra negativity in my life. Sometimes you just have to cut people off. It’s not my preference because I’d love to think that I can be friends with everyone and just because they have done something to hurt me in the past doesn’t mean they will do it again. But after a few downfalls, you realize the best thing to do is just LET IT GO (excuse me as I braid my hair so I can look like Elsa). Sometimes what you post is subconsciously to make certain people jealous or get a certain reaction or be in competition. Don’t do that. I’m going to focus on the things that I like and want to share with the world and I want to feel inspired by what other people share and be open to constructive criticism when it is needed. At the end of the day social media is a creative platform and it is not as important as we make it out to be. If it starts bringing you down or you spend too much time on it, take a break and chillll because it is really not a big deal or at least it shouldn’t be.
So in some ways its been a rough start to the new year. I have been almost in constant teary eyes and deep thought. I have had to say good bye to some things that I really did not want to. But you need to let go of the past, sometimes the good and the bad. For me, I wanted to hang on so badly but it wasn’t the wise thing to do. Thankful for the people who have reached out to me, encouraged me, listened to me, sent me Bible verses, and even cried with me. Still trying to figure out this season of my life and the encouragement has been much needed. But I don’t want a rough start to mean the rest of the year will be rough!
Sorry for all the sadness! I realized I am much more inspired when I am sad, is that weird? I can almost write easier when I have been impacted by something negative. But there have been positives in the new year too! I have gone on a beautiful hike, hung out with some friends, eaten bomb food, and enjoyed a spontaneous detour stop to watch the sunset at the downtown waterfront by my school with a friend. I also love my classes at school and the work that I get to do! And I am happy to stay busy because it helps me grow and be productive.
Here are the things that I look forward to for the new year:
- Getting back into photography and creative projects. I used to really love taking pictures. My friends and I would plan so many different photo shoots. I still like taking pictures but I really want to get back into it. I want to turn madness in my life into beautiful art. I’m hoping to combine my love for words and writing with pictures. I’m not a professional and never will be by any means. I just like how taking pictures allows you to be creative and share a story. I love being surrounded by creative motivated people that inspire me.
- Focus on healthy relationships. I struggle with the fact that I love being alone but sometimes feel lonely. Although I want to believe that I don’t need anyone else, I know that community is important. We weren’t meant to go through life alone. Hoping to stay away from destructive people but rather pursue healthy encouraging relationships. I’m also taking a communication class and love and relationships so I hope I’ll learn very useful things from that!
- Travel! I’m planning a trip to different countries in Europe this summer and I am so hopeful that all will go well. My soul longs to travel. I’m hoping to go on a few more different local trips as well. I need to save that money though lol.
- Be less sarcastic and more affectionate. Yeah I can braid my hair and look like Elsa but I really don’t need to have a cold heart.
- Pursue God above all else. Above all else, I am happiest when I am walking with God and pursuing Him.
- Be healthier. Yeah…I need to respect my own body and health and take better care of it because I love myself and you should love yourself too.
- Don’t be a push over. I have been one in the past so now there is nothing else to do but be honest and stand up for injustice!
I can’t wait to look back in a year and see where my mind is and see how things change. Glad I started writing this blog honestly.
Thank you to everyone who has supported my writing. You don’t know how much it means to me! When people tell me they read my blog, it always surprises me! I can’t believe anyone would actually read it to be honest. I really enjoy writing and updating on my life and the lessons I have been learning. Each encouraging word pushes me to keep going. You don’t know how much anxiety rushes through me every time I’m about to post an article. I don’t know if I shared too much or was too vague or if it was written badly. I have 20 drafts of work I have never released so I am careful and indecisive sometimes. But when people connect with what I write, it fills my heart with happiness. So thank you if you are reading this.
When it comes down to it, this is what I want 2017 to be like: “No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead.” Philippians 3:14. I read this on my Bible app because I suddenly got a random craving to read the Bible as I was waiting in the car (and lets be honest, how often do cravings to read the Bible happen, for me not often and I have to be intentional in reading). When I read it, I knew it was God providing me to some comfort and direction.